Unleash the Baker Within
Updated: Jul 2, 2020
This month, everyone seems to be unleashing their inner baker. With their cakes, people’s spirits have been rising too as many begin to discover the joys of baking.
In light of this, Nestlé has teamed up with one of Australia’s greatest bakers to create the easiest recipes and motivate readers to get creative and explore their love of baking. Whether it’s a twist on the fudge tart, a creative touch on a banana split or something even more imaginative, now is the time to jump into the kitchen and mix things up (both literally and figuratively).
Nestlé has enlisted Aussie chef Donna Hay featuring her favourite Kit Kat treat. It is easy to bake and follow, promised to deliver fun for the whole family.
Listed below is the recipe for this mouth-watering dish that will satisfy everyone in any home.
Cookies and Cream Layer Cake – Serves 6-8
· 1½ cups (375ml) water
· 175g unsalted butter, chopped
· ½ cup (50g) Nestlé Bakers’ Choice Cocoa, sifted
· 3 cups (450g) plain (all-purpose) flour, sifted
· 1½ teaspoons bicarbonate of (baking) soda, sifted
· 3 cups (660g) caster (superfine) sugar
· 3 eggs
· ½ cup (125ml) sour cream
· 1½ teaspoons vanilla extract
Cookies and cream icing:
· 375g cream cheese, chopped
· ½ cup icing (confectioner’s) sugar mixture, sifted
· 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
· 500ml thickened cream
· 1 x 170g KitKat Double Cookies and Cream, coarsely chopped
1. Preheat oven to 160ºC (325ºF).
2. Place the water, butter and cocoa in a medium saucepan over medium heat and stir until the butter is melted.
3. Place the flour, bicarbonate of soda and sugar in a bowl, add the cocoa mixture and whisk to combine. Add the eggs, sour cream and vanilla and whisk to combine.
4. Divide the mixture between 2 x 20cm round lightly greased cake tins lined with non-stick baking paper. Bake for 60 minutes or until cooked when tested with a skewer. Allow to cool in the tins for 10 minutes before turning out onto wire racks to cool completely.
5. To make the frosting, place the cream cheese, vanilla and the icing sugar in an electric mixer and beat for 6 minutes or until light and fluffy. Add the cream and beat for a further 30-45 seconds or until thick. Remove ¼ of the mixture. Add the KitKat Double Cookies and Cream into remaining mixture and fold through
6. Trim the tops from the cakes and slice in half horizontally. Place one cake layer on a plate and spread with ¼ of the KitKat cookies and cream icing. Repeat with remaining layers and finish with the plain icing on top of the cake.