New York: Madison Square Garden - "The World’s Most Famous Arena"
Updated: Aug 4, 2020
Madison Square Garden (MSG) or The Garden is one of the most popular and oldest venues in both the NBA (National Basketball Association) and NHL (National Hockey League). To be more precise it is the home to NBA's Knicks and NHL's Rangers.
It is located in Midtown Manhattan between 7th and 8th Avenue from 31st to 33rd Streets and opened on February 11, 1698.
Besides basketball and ice hockey games, MSG also hosts numerous cultural events and other forms of sports and entertainment such as boxing, professional wrestling, ice shows, concerts etc.
Here are some interesting facts you might want to know about The Garden:
– Current location opened on February 11, 1968 and it will probably change in 2023.
– Construction cost: $123 million ($805 million in 2014)
– Renovation cost: $200 million in 1991 and $297 million in 2014
– Total cost (construction and renovations): $1.07 billion dollars in 2014
– Annual events: around 320
Basketball – 19,812
Ice hockey – 18,006
Concerts – 20,000
Boxing – 20,789
The Theater at Madison Square Garden – 5,600
Disclaimer: a certain commission of every purchase through the ads goes to supporting Affluent Society and I. Purchasing through the ads is one of the best ways you can help support Affluent Society. Thanks in advance.